Homemade Soft PretzelsThis recipe originally appeared on Tasty.com.
- 1½ cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1package active dry yeast
- 4½ cups flour
- 3 tablespoons oil, divided
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 2 eggs, beaten coarse salt
- In a bowl, mix water, salt and sugar until combined. Add yeast and let rest 5 minutes until yeast starts to foam.
- Add flour and 2 tablespoons of oil and mix thoroughly until a dough forms.
- Remove the dough and use the remaining oil to cover the bowl.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and leave in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Cut dough into 8 pieces and roll them out into thin ropes, twisting the two ends to form a pretzel shape.
- Add baking soda to a large pot of water and bring to a rolling boil. Boil each pretzel for 30 seconds per side.
- Transfer pretzels to a baking sheet, brush with egg wash and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 10–15 minutes, until golden brown. Enjoy!